A lifeguard's responsibilities depend on the venue and company. In some cases if a lifeguard operates in a pool they may have to perform maintenance of the pool itself (water testing, checking water levels, filters, draining, cleaning, etc)and inspect any lounges or other amenities located at the poolside.
Keeping accurate records of pool usage (tickets, fees and managing the accounting records).
If the lifeguard operates on a beach they often have bigger responsibilities because of the nature of the area and the different hazards involved.
But the most important thing to remember is that 'additional duties' must not be performed when the qualified lifeguard is assigned swimmer protection responsibilities.
SUBSTANCE ABUSE POLICY
It is the policy of Dubai Municipality that lifeguards shall not use prescribed or over-the counter substances that would impair their ability to perform their duties safely. This includes illegal drugs, controlled substances (including trace amounts), look-alike drugs, designer drugs, or any other substance that may have narcotic, depressant, stimulant, or hallucinogen effect on the human body.
An exception to this rule is that a lifeguard may use a substance or drug if a licensed medical practitioner is familiar with the lifeguard's medical history and all assigned duties, and who has advised the lifeguard the prescribed substance will not adversely affect their ability to carry out their duties safely.
The LSC committee is responsible for establishing and implementing standards of conduct, such as ethical standards and policies and procedures for disciplinary action. Grounds for the revocation of certification shall include, but will not be limited to, the following:
- Period of certification exceeded without renewal
- Evidence of falsification of any information on any documents submitted to certifying authority or its agents
- Evidence of non-compliance with LSC Substance Abuse Policy
- Evidence of culpability in an accident during certification period
- Evidence of non-compliance with medical requirements
- Evidence of non-compliance with the Code of Ethics
The complaints procedures has been designed to ensure that only valid and actionable complaints are investigated and considered. The procedure also ensures that all parties involved in the complaint have an opportunity to document any circumstances warranting the complaint and to respond to the complaint. A PHSD-assigned representative investigates complaints against certification bodies, training centres, trainers.
CODE OF ETHICS:
The certified lifeguard must comply with the code of ethics during their certification, as set forth below:
A lifeguard will perform their work in a manner:
- Free of bias with regard to religion, ethnicity, gender, age, national origin, and disability
- Place the safety and welfare of the public and workers associated with the facility above all other considerations.
- Protect the public's property and the environment.
- Make management aware if they have safety concerns relating to the life guarding operations that they are performing or have witnessed any violation that might affect the safety of the swimmers.
- Not violating safety-related regulations, warnings, or instructions set forth by DM recognised safety standards.
- Not misrepresenting or deceiving others concerning their experience or the capabilities of themselves or the area they are working in.
- Not misrepresenting or misusing their certification card or the organisation logo, both of which are the property of the certifying authority; and understanding that they must return the card to the issuing authority immediately if required to do so.
- Not performing additional duties while assigned the duty of swimmer protection. Candidates are required to sign a code of ethics form issued by PHSD, the training centre shall keep the signed document in the candidate's file.
Medical questionnaire, medical statement and physician instruction:
The certified lifeguard must continue to meet physical requirements throughout their certification periods and attest to their agreement to this requirement in their applications. Medical questionnaire, physician instruction and statements may be obtained from Public Health and Safety department, Public Safety Section.